Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spec vs. Spec (in PvP)

So I'm interested to hear other responses to this.  I have looked up that the best PvP spec in some people's opinions are hybrids that incorporate Mortal Strike, Last Stand and Death Wish in the same package.  

Up until now I haven't knowingly faced one of these, so I can't really say what I think of this idea.

However, I have faced off with warriors with specs that at least tell me something about TG specced warriors vs Shockwave specced warriors vs Bladestorm specced warriors, and for these three specs, I think the results are obvious.

Prot wins.

CC is king, and the protection tree has the most CC of any of them.  Admittedly, they don't seem to have as much cc mitigation as Fury, but a good healer pally / priest beside you and most of the things that you might have difficulty getting out of with Berserker rage and/or your Medallion of the Horde (because you're Horde, right?) aren't really an issue.  

If CC is king, then survivability is queen.  Sure, prot warriors have some of the lowest dps of all tank specs, but we can mitigate damage with the best of them.  Shield wall is just as bad, if not worse, in PvP, throw in some improved spell reflection, shield block, the 10% increase to armor values and at least a 25-45% parry/dodge chance (not to mention the typically low amount of expertise on most pvp gear) and you're suddenly a mountain of an obstacle.  Literally, with a healer (or two or three if you're lucky) on you, you suddenly become invulnerable, so the area cc's and 1K dps you're doing becomes a serious issue to those on the other side.  

My fury spec was really good about racking up 3K+ dps (with crits) and even in PvP was doing better than 2.4K+ but against 40%+ total dodge/parry, literally only one out of every two hits are even landing, and the slower attack speeds make that a serious concern.  Then you add the 70% damage mitigation from armor and defensive stance, on top of the shield block mitigation, and it's like my razor PvE blades are striking a brick wall, occasionally chipping out a single brick that lands on my head and takes me out completely.

In duels Prot vs Fury, although I could generally hold my own for a while, the Prot warrior could inevitably cc me more, take less damage, and keep himself alive longer than I could.  So, Fury vs Prot, winner is Prot.

I faced off against many Arms warriors in bg's (which admittedly is not exactly the same thing) as Fury and what I found was that it was basically a wash.  Sure, Fury did more damage, but Arms has the good "extra" problem talents for PvP.  Generally speaking, it would be a huge explosion, ending in a Bladestorm, a flurry of Bloodthirsts and Whirlwinds, and both of us would fall dead in the end.  In fact, the only thing that seemed to determine which of us would remain standing was who got in the right lucky shots during the initial exchange.   Once it went to bladestorm, the Fury spec was in better shape to get ahead, but takes so much damage that they usually died in the process.  So, my call here, Arms vs Fury is a draw.

And I've been Prot specced for almost two weeks now (at least since the last times I was prot while leveling) and last night I ran into an Arms warrior or two.  I have to hope that the Prot warriors I faced while Fury had a harder time than I did against this Arms warrior.  I almost felt sorry for them after a while.  They spent most of the time stunned, when they went to Bladestorm, I simply charged someone else to get distance, and watched them inch closer to me, waiting for them to finish, and then charged them again and slaughtered them.  It wasn't even close.  So, clear winner in Arms vs Prot is Prot.  

In fact, in terms of the whole PvP experience, I died less often during a full night of BG's and WG battles than I used to during a single BG as Fury.  And I saw a lot more action, and on several of the BG's I even led the board in HK's (admittedly only like 57+ usually, but still).  Crazy stuff.

Of course, this is also why they're changing up the specs some in patch 3.1, and the addition of the leap and some other tools to Arms' arsenal may make that a closer contest, but they're still moving Fury back in the list, so it may end up that Prot and Arms are competing for the top PvP builds with Fury crying at the bottom of the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment