Tuesday, March 24, 2009

New Glyphs for smashing with.

Ok, so there are a number of new glyphs coming out, and here's some things for all of us to consider.  

First, let's do tanking, since that's what I'll do first:
Right now there are a pretty standard (almost) set of choices (at least they're the ones I use)

Major:
Glyph of Blocking - Adds 10% to shield block value for 10 sec each time you Shield Slam.
Glyph of Sunder - Applies a Sunder (+ threat) to another nearby target each time you sunder/devastate.
Glyph of Revenge - After using revenge your next Heroic Strike is Free!

Minor:
Glyph of Bloodrage - Reduces damage taken from Bloodrage by 100% ( a MUST in my opinion)
Glyph of Charge - increases charge distance by 5 yards
Glyph of Thunderclap - increases TC's radius by 2 yards

And there are a number of possible new ones:
Glyph of Enraged Regeneration - Increases health recovered by an additional 10% (over the 10 secs)
Glyph of Shield Wall - Reduces cd on Shield wall by 2 min, but reduces damage by 40% (instead of 60%)
Glyph of Shockwave - Reduces cd on Shockwave by 3 secs
Glyph of Spell Reflection - Reduces cd on Spell Reflection by 1 sec
Glyph of Vigilance - Transfers an additional 5% of threat from target to you.

Now, here are my thoughts on these, and I'd love to get some feedback.
(1) Glyph of Enraged Regeneration.  I like this one, but I have to measure it against the ones I already have.  Sunder makes group pulls a lot easier, and I can see "re-glyphing" for boss only fights like in Eye of Eternity to use this one, but for general raids, Sunder is going to help out on trash more often than ER is going to help out on bosses.  As long as you've got competent healers, ER is more of an OH %(*$%& maneuver anyway.
(2) Glyph of Shield Wall - I guess I have mixed feelings about this.  If you've specced Improved Discipline here, this could potentially give you a 40% damage reduction for 12 secs every 2 minutes, and even without it would be every 3 minutes.  So in some ways this would be good mitigation.  On the other hand, you'll notice that since Protection warriors typically tend to be lower down on the dps meters and since damage = threat, I tend to lean towards things that help me to build threat instead of things that help me to mitigate damage.  Here again, maybe for an all boss encounter I might "re-glyph" to help handle bosses that hit hard, but I don't think I'd use this for generic raiding.
(3) Glyph of Shockwave - This is like Glyph of Devastate, what a great ability to improve upon, and then the improvement turns out to not really be a great thing afterall.  If Shockwave had a really low cd, it would be a great crowd control device, but lowering it to 17s cd from 20s cd seems like they're just toying with us.  10-15s cd and I'd really consider this one to replace Sunder for my crowd control glyph, but as it is, eh. . ..
(4) Glyph of Spell Reflection - Well, ok, I'm a little torn on this, but essentially, it's not really something that would be much good, except possibly in PvP.  As it is, the worst thing about spell reflection is it's cost, the 10 sec cd just means that you can only have it activated about half the time, which I usually find to be plenty.  I think I'd pass on this unless I were going to reglyph for a specific purpose.
(5) Glyph of Vigilance - Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If you use vigilance judiciously, you probably don't ever run into problems with not getting "quite" enough of the threat from them.  You should be generating threat too, not just standing there letting others build it for you.  Plus this could cause issues between two tanks Vig-ing each other, since one would then be "out threating" the other.  I think this is pretty much a pass.  If it increased the damage reduction to the target to 5% instead of 3%, it might be worthwhile.


And there are no new minor glyphs so far.  So basically it looks as though I'll probably be keeping my glyphs the same, but maybe catching a few of the others in case I need to reglyph for a specific raid or situation.


Now let's do DPSing:

There is one new dps glyph, and it's an Arms talent.  No point in talking about it, so here's the glyphs that I like so far:

Major: 
Glyph of Cleave - cleave hits 1 more enemy (together with Improved Cleave this is great for trash mobs)
Glyph of WW - reduces cd on WW by 2 secs (from 10 secs, a 25% improvement in downtime on your #1 burst damage ability, a win in my book)
Glyph of Heroic Strike - HS Crits give you 10 rage (I know you're trying to dump your rage, but if you get some back you can dump for longer)

Minor:
Glyph of Bloodrage - same as before (why not?  Free rage = more dps)
Glyph of Battle - Extends duration of Battle shout by 1 min.  (ok, I know this is kind of weak, but you look through the list of minor glyphs and find one you like better and let me know)
Glyph of Enduring Victory - extends time window for Victory rush by 5 secs (see earlier one)


So unfortunately, it seems as though while we're being given more choices, the more things change the more it stays the same.  We still don't really have enough minor glyph choices, and we still don't have any options for the major glyphs unless we're preparing for a specific set of circumstances.  At least we have more specific circumstances choices when we tank.  And we also have a new Sweeping Strikes glyph when we decide to chuck Fury and take Arms instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment