Thursday, July 16, 2009

PTR patch notes update for patch 3.2.0

Just wanted to let those of you who check in with me know the latest skinny.

Warriors

  • Bloodrage: This ability now generates 20 rage initially, and 10 rage over the next 10 seconds. The health cost is unchanged.
  • Execute: This ability now never costs more than a total of 30 rage. The tooltip for Sudden Death has been revised to remove reference to that maximum, since the ability now behaves that way even when untalented.
  • Shield Slam: The benefit from additional block value this ability gains is now subject to diminishing returns. Diminishing returns occur once block value exceeds 30 times the player's level and caps the maximum damage benefit from shield block value at 34.5 times the player's level.
  • Talents
    • Fury
      • Armored to the Teeth: This talent now provides 1/2/3 attack power per 108 armor, up from per 180 armor.
      • Bloodsurge: Notification that Slam has become instant now appears in floating combat text.
    • Protection
      • Devastate: Weapon damage increased to 60% and bonus per Sunder Armor on the target increased by 20%.
      • Shield Specialization: Now provides 5 rage on a block, dodge or parry instead of 2 rage on a block.

So That's all very interesting.  Notice that we've added some new features.  It's hard for me to tell whether I like the Execute change, on the one hand, for PvE combat, it means you really will be able to spam Execute after 20% without worry.  On the other hand, for PvP you can say goodbye to those massive execute crits in the 12K range, not that you need them when your opponent is down to 20% (since 20% of even 30K is still only 6K).  But in PvE, while it does make a good damage/rage sense to do it this way, since Execute still suffers from the global cooldown, now instead of being able to dump all our rage each time it's ready (even if that means we're in a fight like Thaddius, and we build rage so quickly it's scary) and may mean that we end up with a lot more rage in the end that would have been nice to be able to dump into the boss instead.

I don't have the numbers right here, but it seems like I tend to get Sudden Death crits in the range of about 4K-5K usually, with non-crits being in the 2.5K range.  The catch there is that Overpower has a phenomenally higher crit rating because of my talents, and can usually do 5-7K damage (or more against poorly armored adversaries).  And even my Mortal Strike that already costs 30 rage can do about 3-6K damage.  I'll have to really look closely at this for a bit to see how it goes, but I almost wonder if Mortal Strike and the SD Executes (or Executes limited to 30 rage) aren't basically the same damage wise, which means the debuff that Mortal Strike gives actually ends up giving it the advantage in the end.  This would be a shame, really, but I'll do the math in a couple weeks and see what I can find out.

I think the change to bloodrage is quite nice, here's hoping that stays in place.  And as far as the shield block value bonus to shield slam, I forgot to check my own equipment, but I think I'll be ok being limited to no more than a 2400 block value.  I think MAYBE I might be approaching a number in the early 1K-1.5K so I think I can adjust myself to the diminishing returns between 2400 and the cap at 2760.  If, on the other hand, you're wearing the latest and greatest shield block value items, you might need to pick up a new trinket or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment